Every now and then I like to try a pancake recipe with cornmeal. Cornmeal added to pancake batter alters the texture, providing a little crunch and extra heartiness and ultimately produces a completely different character. In fact, sometimes they don’t taste very pancakey at all. They’re more like a close cousin of pancakes who likes to hang out with distant cousin hushpuppy. Careful with the heat when cooking these pancakes. I found the outsides of the pancakes browned quickly, but the inside took awhile to cook.
Blueberry Cornmeal Pancakes (adapted slightly from ClosetCooking.com)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup blueberries
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix the wet ingredients in another bowl.
- Add wet into dry and mix just until flour mixture is fully incorporated.
- Stir in blueberries.
- Heat a griddle over medium heat. Melt small sliver of butter on griddle and pour 1/4 cup of batter on top. Cook until bubbles form, 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook until batter is cooked through in middle.
Yield: 3 servings (6-8 pancakes)