One of the best things about living in Fort Mill, SC is the abundance of fresh, juicy strawberries this time of year. It just doesn’t feel like spring has officially arrived until the first bucket of strawberries has been picked at Springs Farm. Due to the mild winter and early spring, strawberry season is in full swing a couple of weeks early this year. Springs Farm has pick your own strawberries available for $10 a gallon. If you want to pick your own, prepay at The Farm Stand at 1010 Springfield Parkway. The fields are just across the street. Hours for picking are 7am-6pm Mon-Sat and 1pm-6pm Sunday.
The third annual SC Strawberry Festival will take place in Fort Mill May 4th and 5th. This has quickly become one of the most popular festivals in South Carolina. It is a fun event for the whole family with live music, strawberry shortcake eating contest, 5k run/walk, food and business vendors, and a Kids Zone with rock climbing wall, bungee trampoline, Guitar Hero contest, and arts and crafts table.
Among the highlights of this year’s Strawberry Festival:
- Strawberry Festival Golf Tournament at Springfield Golf Club on May 2. This is a 4 person Captain’s Choice Event open to both men and women. Proceeds will benefit the Fort Mill Care Center. For more info on the Golf Tournament call 803-547-2116 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Strawberry Festival Gala, a new event this year, will take place Wed May 2 from 7-10pm at The Dairy Barn in Anne Springs Close Greenway. Tickets are $65 per person or $130 a couple. Attendees will be treated to heavy hors d’oeuvres, a sit down dinner, dessert, live entertainment and dance floor, and an open bar with beer and wine. Dress is semi-formal. Proceeds benefit Fort Mill History Museum.
- The Strawberry Festival Pageant will be held May 3 at Nation Ford High School. There will be 3 categories for the pageant: Teen, Miss, and Mrs.
- A 5k run/walk will take place May 5 at Anne Springs Close Greenway. Registration is at 7am and the event begins at 8am.
- The Strawberry Recipe Contest will be held Saturday May 5 with prizes in 3 categories: pies, tarts, and pastries, cakes, and anything goes. There is no entry fee required. Contestants must present their prepared recipe to the judges between 9am and 10am. Winners will be announced at 12pm on the Main Stage. Entry form must be returned by Monday April 30, 2012.
- The Strawberry Festival Car Show will be on N White St on Sat May 5 from 10am-5pm. Over 100 classic cars will be on display.
- Festivities will take place at Walter Elisha Park May 4 from 6pm-11pm and May 5 from 10am-10pm. Live music, petting zoo, pig races, food vendors, arts and craft vendors, and more. Fireworks 8:30pm Saturday.