Tired of always having a protein shake after your workout? This is a great post-workout snack that basically uses the same ingredients as a shake, just in a form that you can chew.
I saw these delicious Banana Peabut Butter treats on Pinterest. The original recipe consisted of just bananas, peanut butter, and greek yogurt. I decided to add some chocolate protein powder, a few drops of almond extract, and use almond butter instead of peanut butter. Plus I rolled a few in some mini-chocolate chips. Naughty- I know.
The original recipe calls for freezing the banana bites once you assemble them. I’m not a fan of frozen banana (plus I have really sensitive teeth) so I didn’t do this part. I did however freeze the peanut butter mixture for about an hour to thicken it some.
They’re a little messy and the banana pieces slide around and the filling, even when partially frozen, wants to ooze out. But they sure are cute! And delicious! However, it may be a little more practical to eat it all mixed together in a bowl with a spoon. I think I’ll do that next time.
For lots more healthy eating ideas, be sure to follow FMSC Living’s Healthy Recipes Pinterest Board. New pins added daily.
Banana Almond Butter Bites
- 4 bananas, plus 1/2 of a very ripe banana
- 3 tablespoons nonfat vanilla greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 3 teaspoons Chocolate protein powder
- couple drops of almond extract
- mini-chocolate chips (optional)
- In a small bowl, mix together yogurt, almond butter, protein powder, and almond extract. Mix in 1/2 of a very ripe banana, mashing the banana with a spoon as you mix it. Cover mixture with plastic wrap and place in the freezer or refrigerator to firm up slightly. (It also tastes better when cold.)
- Slice remaining 4 bananas into slices 1/2-inch thick. Spread peanut butter mixture on half the slices and top with other halves. Roll in mini chocolate chips if desired.
Recipe adapted from Eat Yourself Skinny