I love a good veggie burger, especially one made from black beans. Although it just occurred to me that black beans aren’t veggies at all so I’m not sure why I’m so used to calling them veggie burgers instead of bean burgers.
Anyways, the frozen veggie burgers you can buy at the store are often filled with all kinds of chemicals and are high in sodium. Fortunately making your own is super easy so long as you have a food processor. Unfortunately my food processor, which I’m pretty sure I’ve had for at good 18 years, broke last week. But I guess it served me well for many a year. I used my mini food processor to make these burgers- not necessarily easy or fun. But it did the job. Eventually.
This recipe uses what’s referred to as a “flaxseed egg” which keeps it vegan, plus it adds in all those good things flaxseeds have. You know, omega 3 fatty acids, antioxidants, dietary fiber.
Be sure to refrigerate the patties for a good 30 minutes before you cook them. This really helps keep them in one piece. You can serve them on a bun, but I really like to stack 2 of them and just eat them with guacamole and salsa.
Black Bean Burgers with Salsa and Guacamole
- 1 (16-ounce) can black beans
- 1/2 red pepper, cut into 4 pieces
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, cut into chunks
- small handful cilantro leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha sauce
- 1/2 cup canned corn
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 avocado
- juice of half lime
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 1/2 jalapeno seeds removed, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle Tabasco
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Rinse and drain black beans. Spread on paper towel to dry. (This will help keep the burgers from falling apart when they cook.)Combine red pepper, onion, cilantro,and garlic in a food processor and process until well chopped. Drain off any liquid and place in a large bowl.
- Place beans in food processor and pulse until beans are mostly processed, but there are still some chunks. Add to bowl with pepper/onion mixture.
- Combine flaxseed with 3 tablespoons water and let sit for a few minutes.
- Add chili powder, cumin, Sriracha sauce, corn, and bread crumbs to bowl with beans. Add flaxseed mixture and stir everything together until well mixed. Season to taste with salt. Shape into 5-6 patties and place in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add black bean cakes and cook 2-3 minutes per side.
- For guacamole- cut avocado in half, remove pit, and scoop flesh into a bowl. Add lime juice to bowl and mash avocado with back of a fork until desired consistency. Stir in a pinch of salt and cilantro.
- For salsa- in a food processor, combine diced tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, chipotle tabasco, lime juice, and salt. Pulse a few times to get everything mixed together and chopped.
Yield: 3 servings; approximately 407 calories per serving if yield is 6 burgers. Serving size: 2 burgers, 1/3 of guacamole and 1/3 of salsa