To me nothing symbolizes Halloween like candy corn. Personally I’m much more a fan of how they look than how they taste. What I love about these cupcakes is they look like candy corn but don’t taste like candy corn. And the frosting is amazing!
The cupcake part is just plain white cake mix, the real star of the show is the marshmallow frosting. It is divine. Thick and creamy and dreamy. It would be a perfect filling for whoopie pies.
Instead of using the liquid food coloring that’s available at the grocery store, I bought yellow and orange Wilton gel (called icing gel on the jar) at Michael’s. It’s located in the cake decorating section. Since the gel is more intense than the liquid, I didn’t use near the amount that the recipe calls for. Just add a little at a time, but you want to be sure you add enough that you get a really vibrant, festive color.
Candy Corn Cupcakes
- 1 (16.5-oz) box white cake mix
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon yellow food coloring
- 1 tablespoon orange food coloring
- Creamy Marshmallow Frosting (recipe follows)
- candy corn
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and like two muffin pans with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- Place cake mix, eggs, water , oil, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl and using an electric mixer beat for 1 minute on medium speed. Increase mixer speed to high and continue beating for 2 more minutes.
- Place half of batter in a separate bowl. Add orange food coloring to one bowl and yellow to the other. Mix well.
- Evenly divide yellow batter among muffin cups. Repeat with orange batter.
- Bake for 18 to 22 minutes, until tops are firm. Remove from oven and cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Place Marshmallow Frosting in a pastry bag with a large round tip. Garnish with candy corn. Store in refrigerator.
Creamy Marshmallow Frosting
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (7-oz) container marshmallow creme
- 1 (8-oz) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add confectioners’ sugar and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Add marshmallow creme and beat until well mixed, about 2 minutes. Add whipped topping and beat just until mixed in.
Yield: 2 dozen cupcakes
Recipe source: Woman’s Day Halloween Celebrations 2012