For breakfast, an afternoon snack, or dessert, these Caramel Apple Muffins really hit the spot. These are best eaten warm from the oven. The caramels harden when the muffins come to room temperature. If your fresh muffins aren’t instantly all devoured, warm the leftovers in the microwave before eating to melt the caramels.
I used Gala apples, but pretty much any type of apple would work. The apples are really just there to give the gooey caramel something to wrap around. I cut each caramel square into 4 pieces. Go ahead and unwrap a few extra squares. You know you’ll eat a few while you’re cutting them.
For apple picking in the Fort Mill, SC area check out Windy Hill Orchard just outside of York,SC. Eat one of their apple cider doughnuts and you’ll think you’ve died and gone to heaven!
Caramel Apple Muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 stick butter, melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup peeled, finely diced apple
- 3/4 cup diced caramel candy squares (about 16)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a large bowl, combine egg and milk. Stir in butter and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture and stir just until all flour is moistened. Do not overmix.
- Fold in apples and caramels. Divide batter among muffin cups.
- Bake 22 to 25 minutes, until tops are no longer doughy. Serve warm.
Yield: 12 muffins
Linked up at Addicted to Recipes