It’s apple season, but instead enjoying a caloric, high in sugar and fat apple treat, why not try a healthy Caramel Apple Protein Shake? This is a super thick, creamy, and filling protein shake that is perfect as a meal replacement. AND it only has about 230 calories. (This will vary some based on the brand of protein powder you use.)
And with an apple added in, you get a fruit serving as well as a large dose of protein. It’s a win-win! The addition of sugar-free butterscotch pudding mix gives a caramel flavor to this liquid treat without adding fat or many calories. Plus the pudding mix helps thicken the shake. For an even thicker shake, add a pinch (but only a pinch!) of xanthan gum. Don’t overdo it though, or your protein shake will be super inedible.
If you’re in a protein shake rut, try one of these awesome flavors: Blueberry Cheesecake, Peach Pie, Chocolate Avocado, Key Lime Pie, Pina Colada. They’re all delicious and will help you meet your fitness and weight loss goals.
Caramel Apple Protein Shake
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 small apple, skin removed and diced
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2-3 ice cubes
- 2 tablespoons sugar-free butterscotch pudding mix
- pinch of xanthan gum (optional)
- Combine all ingredients, except xanthan gum in a blender and blend until smooth. If you desire a thicker shake, add a pinch of xanthan gum and blend. (Keep in mind the pudding mix will significantly thicken the shake and it will take a few minutes for this to happen.)
Yield: 1 serving
230 Calories, approximately