Chipotle Chicken with Roasted Sweet Potatoes is a super healthy meal that you can get on the table with ease. It is tangy, sweet, and savory and the scent of cinnamon wafting through the house as the sweet potatoes roast is amazing. As the chicken cooks on top of the sweet potatoes, the flavors from the glaze- honey, chipotle peppers, cinnamon, and cumin drip down and envelope the sweet potatoes, further enhancing their sweet flavor.
In addition to being packed full of protein, thanks to the sweet potatoes, this meal is also loaded with fiber, Vitamins A and C, and beta carotene. It is low carb and gluten free. If sweet potatoes aren’t a regular part of your diet, they should be. In addition to their nutritional value, they taste like candy and can help satisfy your sweet tooth without a big spike in blood sugar.
You can double this recipe and serve the leftovers in burrito form the next day or on top of a bed of Spinach leaves with feta cheese and craisins and a little drizzle of vinaigrette. Definitely a good plan for when you want to spend less time in the kitchen.
Chipotle Chicken with Sweet Potatoes
- 2-3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into aprroximately 3/4 to 1-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss sweet potatoes with olive oil and spread evenly on bottom of roasting pan. Lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together chilies, garlic, honey, vinegar, salt, cumin, and cinnamon to make a paste. Rub evenly over each chicken breast.
- Place chicken breasts on top of sweet potatoes and roast 25 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
Yield: 4 servings
Recipe Source: adapted from Fitness Magazine