My husband and kids are fed up with all the sweet potato and butternut squash recipes I have been cooking the last few months, but I can’t seem to get enough of these sweet fall vegetables. Coconut Sweet Potato Bisque is another fabulous recipe from Tupelo Honey Cafe: Spirited Recipes from Asheville’s New South Kitchen. This cookbook is quickly becoming one of my favorite, favorite cookbooks. Everything I’ve made from it has been incredible.
This is a very sweet soup with sweetness coming from 4 sources: the sweet potatoes themselves, maple syrup, coconut milk, and tupelo honey. I’m not a huge lover of honey, but this tupelo honey, which can be purchased from Tupelo Honey Cafe’s website, is wonderful.
If you want the bisque to taste a little less sweet and a little more spicy, add extra cayenne pepper. Or just keep it sweet and you’ll feel like you’re eating dessert instead of dinner.
More Sweet Potato Recipes
Coconut Sweet Potato Bisque
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 4 cups plus 4 1/2 teaspoons water
- 1 (14-ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons tupelo honey
- 2 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a 4-quart saucepan, combine sweet potatoes and 4 cups of water over high heat. Bring to a boil and boil for 20 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Reduce heat to medium and mash potatoes in the water using a potato masher. Add coconut milk, brown sugar, maple syrup, honey, salt, pumpkin pie spice, and black pepper and simmer for 15 minutes, or until mixture begins to thicken.
- In small bowl, combine cornstarch and 4 1/2 teaspoons of water to form a thick paste. Add mixture to soup and cook for 5 minutes. Add cayenne pepper..
- Using a handheld blender puree soup until smooth. If you don’t have a handheld blender, use a stand blender, but work in batches.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Recipe Source: Tupelo Honey Cafe Cookbook