It won’t be many more months before summer’s bounty starts appearing at local farmers markets. And thank goodness because I’m tired of cooking kale, swiss chard, and winter squash. I’m ready for some summer squash!
Grilling vegetables is perhaps my favorite way to cook vegetables. I like roasting them too and roasting veggies creates pretty much the same effect as grilling. But there’s just something about cooking outside over an open flame that can’t be beat. Grilling brings out the sweetness of vegetables and vegetables really pick up the smokiness of the grill.
Zucchini and yellow squash are my two favorite veggies to grill. They are super low-calorie and wonderful accompaniments to chicken, fish, beef, pasta….. you name it. They’re so delicious, you may even want to eat them solo.
|Grilled Zucchini and Squash Sticks||
- 5-6 medium squash (mixture of zucchini and yellow)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dry barbecue rub
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper
- Chop off the ends of each squash and cut into wedge-shaped sticks 3-5 inches long.
- Place in a large ziptop bag with olive oil, barbecue rub, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika. Let marinate 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat a grill or grill pan over medium heat.
- Season squash to taste with salt and pepper and place on grill.
- Cook on all sides until nicely charred and softened.
More zucchini and yellow squash recipes