My kids request this recipe over and over again. And that’s fine with me because it’s a quick and easy, nutritious meal. These Meatloaf Muffins come out super moist, which is sometimes hard to accomplish when using extra-lean ground beef. The carrots and the ketchup lend a nice sweetness. I think that’s the appeal for my kids (and me!).
Making Meatloaf Muffins instead of a full meatloaf is a great way to get dinner on the table in just over 30 minutes, making them a wonderful option for weeknight suppers. Plus they reheat well- so go ahead and make a double batch and knock out 2 weeknight meals in well under an hour. Serve with a side of green beans or roasted broccoli and you’re good to go.
Make sure you dice the carrot small and get it partially softened when sautéing. Otherwise, it may be a little crunchy in the finished product.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2/3 cup ketchup, divided
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef
- 2/3 cup finely crushed saltine crackers
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 12 muffin cups with liners and coat with cooking spray.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and carrot and saute for 3 minutes. Add oregano and garlic and saute 1 additional minute. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, 1/3 cup ketchup, saltine crackers, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, pinch of salt, pepper, and egg. Add onion mixture to the bowl and mix together using a wooden spoon or your hands.
- Evenly distribute meatloaf mixture among the muffin cups and top with remaining ketchup. Bake for 25 minutes.
Yield: 12 muffins
Recipe Source: adapted from Cooking Light