These days not too many people get excited about eating meatloaf. But a meatloaf sandwich? Now we’re talking.
This meatloaf sandwich is a little different than most because instead of using up leftover meatloaf, individual meatloaf patties are made specifically to be used in a sandwich.
With the addition of lots of veggies, milk, and breadcrumbs, these meatloaf patties have a perfectly tender texture and are sure to satisfy a hungry family.
To cut down on the prep time you can pre-mix all the ingredients and even form the patties early in the day or the night before.
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chuck
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons ketchup, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons finely packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 6 Kaiser rolls
- lettuce, tomato, and red onion for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine ground chuck, bread crumbs, bell pepper, onion, celery, milk, eggs, 2 tablespoons ketchup, sugar, chili powder, Italian seasoning, black pepper, and salt. Shape into 6 patties.
- Place patties on a broiler pan. Combine 1/3 cup ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and brown sugar in a small bowl. Brush tops of patties with ketchup mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Let cool and serve on rolls with lettuce, tomato, and red onion.
Yield: 6 sandwiches