Doesn’t it seem much safer to eat a corn dog in muffin form than on a sharp stick. Am I the only one who gets nervous when kids place a stick in their mouths? Corn dog muffins are the perfect kid friendly meal or snack. An easy to eat finger food that doesn’t involve a sharp object.
And while I wouldn’t call these health food by any means, they are definitely much healthier than the deep-fried variety you get at the ball field. You can even experiment with using applesauce or Greek Yogurt in place of the oil.
Serve with ketchup, mustard, barbecue sauce or your favorite corn dog topping. Refrigerate leftovers and pop them in the microwave for a few seconds to warm.
Mini Cheesy Corn Dog Muffins
- 1 cup yellow corn Meal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup shredded Colby Jack Cheese (or cheddar)
- 1 package hotdogs, each hot dog cut into 3 pieces
- Spray a mini muffin pan liberally with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place dry ingredients in a medium bowl and run a whisk through then to get any clumps out.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs, milk, and oil together.
- Gently mix wet into dry ingredients. Careful not to overmix. Fold in shredded cheese.
- Fill each muffin tin nearly to the top with batter. Stick at hot dog piece into the center of each muffin. The batter is pretty thick and will do a god job of holding the weiners upright.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until batter is set. Careful not to overcook or the cornbread will be disappointingly dry.
Yield: 24 mini muffins