Pretty much any combination of fruit, nuts, and cheese in a salad is a winning combination in my opinion. All my favorite salad recipes contain this magnificent salad trifecta.
In this recipe apples add sweetness and crunch, goat cheese is present in its creamy, tangy glory…..and the almond brittle…..it’s what transforms this salad from a good salad to an out of this world salad.
Mixed Green Salad with Apples and Almond Brittle
- 8 cups mixed salad greens
- 2 apples, julienned (Gala or Honeycrisp are good choices)
- 1/2 cup goat cheese crumbles
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced shallot
- 2 tablespoons apple cider
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- To make almond brittle: Preheat oven to 300 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine corn syrup, honey, butter, flour, salt, and pepper. Add almonds and stir to mix. Spread on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, pressing mixture into a 1/4-inch thick layer. Bake 30 minutes. Let cool and then break into pieces.
- For the dressing: In a medium bowl, combine white wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, and shallot. Let stand for 30 minutes. In a small saucepan, simmer apple cider until reduced by half. Add to vinegar mixture. Whisk in canola oil.
- In a large bowl, toss salad greens, apples, and goat cheese. Drizzle with dressing and top with almond brittle.
More delicious salad recipes with the salad trifecta