We’ve never taken a vote for favorite vegetable in our house, but I’m pretty sure that if we did, broccoli would win hands down. There is however disagreement on how it should be cooked. I like a little crunch to it and my son likes his broccoli mushy.
Typically I cook broccoli in a steamer basket, but I have to say that flavor wise, roasted broccoli is the way to go. The high heat and a little drizzle of olive oil produces little spots of caramelization on the broccoli that are absolutely delicious. Sprinkle a little Parmesan cheese on top and this is one vegetable you won’t have to coax your kids into eating (or your husband).
You may want to give the broccoli a little stir once or twice while it’s cooking so it doesn’t get too browned in any one spot. If you wanted to add even more flavor, you could spice it up with some red pepper flakes or add some minced garlic.
Parmesan Roasted Broccoli
- 1 head of broccoli cut into florets
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Toss broccoli with olive oil, salt, and pepper and spread out on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Roast about 12 minutes, until broccoli is tender and lightly browned.
- Toss with cheese and serve.
Yield: 4 side dish servings
More Broccoli Recipes