Red Velvet Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting really are the perfect Christmas cookie with their bright red and white colors. I can’t believe I’m thinking about Christmas baking already, but the way my weeks have been flying by, I know it’s going to be here and gone in a flash!
The cream cheese frosting is ……well, I don’t really have to say do I? When is cream cheese frosting ever not lick-your-fingers delicious. The cookie part is very soft and not all that sweet. The texture is very similar to that of a Whoopie Pie. In fact, these cookies could very easily be made into Whoopie Pies.
To decorate the cookies and make them look extra festive, crumble one of the cookies and sprinkle the crumbs on top of the icing. Cookies will keep well in the refrigerator for several days. The frosting recipe produces a whole bunch of frosting. Because let’s face it, the cookie part should just be a vehicle for the frosting.
More Holiday Cookies
Red Velvet Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons red liquid food coloring
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Beat butter using an electric mixer until creamy, about 2 minutes. Gradually add in sugar. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in food coloring and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture alternating with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour while beating at low-speed. Scrape down the sides of bowl as necessary.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Drop dough by 1/4 cupfuls onto parchment paper, 3 inches apart. Use back of spoon to spread dough into 3-inch rounds.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until tops are set. Remove to wire racks to cool before frosting. Optional: crumble 1 cookie to use as garnish. Spread cream cheese frosting on cookies and garnish with crumbs. Store cookies in refrigerator.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- dash of salt
- 1 (1-lb.) box powdered sugar
- Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and salt at medium speed for 1 minute. With mixer turned to low, gradually add in powdered sugar.
Yield: 3 cups frosting, 18-20 cookies
Recipe Source: Taste of the South