I’ve been a little slow to warm up to the idea of using a slow cooker (no pun intended), but I’m finally on the crock pot bandwagon. I’ve cooked more crock pot recipes in the last few weeks than I think I have in the last 10 years. And every one of them has turned out exceptionally well. Including this recipe which is as simple as can be.
Slice some onions, rub a spice mixture on the chicken, and place the whole chicken in the crock pot. Six hours later you have the most tender, juicy meat. And that, I think, is my favorite thing about cooking in a crock pot. No risk of dry, overcooked meat. This chicken is delicious on its own, in a wrap, a quesadilla, or on top of a salad.
More Slow Cooker Recipes
Slow-Cooked Chicken with Spice Rub
- 2 sweet onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (5 to 6-pound) organic chicken, rinsed and patted dry
- Line bottom of slow cooker with onion slices.
- In a small bowl, mix all spices. Rub spice mixture over the whole chicken.
- Place chicken on top of onions. Cover and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours.
Recipe Source: adapted from Everyday Paleo
Disclosure: Fort Mill SC Living is an amazon.com affiliate.