Believe it or not, this was the first time I have ever cooked spaghetti squash. I’ve heard people rave about using it as a substitute for pasta- and since THAT time of the year is almost here- I decided to give it a try.
Yes, by “That time of the year”, I mean the time when we start the New Year out on the right foot with healthy eating and pounds lost. And yes I know we are still weeks away from Christmas. But I’m a planner so I have a head start on it. By the time New Years comes around, I’ll be eating my Valentine’s candy and getting ready to dye my Easter eggs.
Turns out spaghetti squash as pasta works quite well. Although I may be a little partial to this zucchini pasta. The spicy meat sauce is a nice complement. Go heavy on the red pepper flakes if you like. Who knows? It may speed up your metabolism.
This recipe is low carb and gluten-free and can be used as part of the Paleo diet, low-carb diet, or Advocare Cleanse.
Spaghetti Squash and Spicy Meat Sauce
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- salt and pepper
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Slice spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds. Rub 1/2 tablespoon olive oil onto the cut side of squash and season with salt and pepper. Place cut side down on a large, rimmed baking sheet and cook for 45 to 60 minutes, until tender all the way through.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and carrot and cook for 2 minutes. Add turkey and garlic and cook until turkey is cooked through, breaking to pieces with a wooden spoon. Season with salt and pepper and add Italian seasoning.
- Add tomato paste and crushed tomatoes and stir well to combine everything. Reduce heat and simmer 5-10 minutes. Add red pepper flakes and more salt and pepper if necessary.
- Scrape out insides of spaghetti squash with a fork. Serve topped with meat sauce and Parmesan cheese.