Meals like this one, Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili, have helped me breeze through the first 7 Days of a 10-Day Cleanse. It’s a hearty soup, bursting with flavor, but still low in fat and calories.
The sweet potatoes lend a delicious sweetness to help balance the spice of the chili powder. The recipe calls for both regular chili powder and chipotle chili powder. Do no skip the chipotle chili powder as it is the key flavor in the chili. Chipotle chili powder has a smokiness and intensity of flavor that regular chili powder does not have.
This chili is quite spicy and I love to eat spicy foods when I am trying to lose weight. I find I eat them more slowly and out of necessity drink large quantities of water with them. These are 2 things that help me feel full before I’ve eaten too much.
Most likely some butternut squash would be equally delicious instead of sweet potato, but I love the way the bright orange of the sweet potato looks with the black beans. So beautiful.
Like all chili, Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili keeps well. So if your husband and kids turn their noses up at it like mine did, you have a weeks worth of lunches ready for you in the refrigerator. Tell your family to make themselves some peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Soup
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium-large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- garnishes- nonfat sour cream, pickled jalapenos or avocado
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sweet potato and onion and cook for 3 minutes, stirring often.
- Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, chipotle powder, and salt and cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add water and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low (make sure you keep a gentle simmer), cover and cook 8-10 minutes, or until sweet potato is tender.
- Add beans, tomatoes, and lime juice and continue to simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.
Recipe Source: Eating Well
More Sweet Potato Recipes