I am obsessed with sweet potatoes. They have gone from a food I detest to one I’m constantly trying to think of new ways to utilize. Last week, I made these wonderful pumpkin scones using a recipe from Sweet Pea’s Kitchen. Since pumpkin and sweet potato are so similar, I wondered what the recipe would taste like made with sweet potatoes instead of pumpkin.
And since you always associate sweet potatoes with marshmallows, I decided to add some of those pillowy, sweet, white morsels in. I cut each mini-marshmallow in half using my kitchen scissors so they would blend into the batter better. This part was really therapeutic. I briefly contemplated cutting every marshmallow in the bag in half I was enjoying it so much.
To top the scones off, I whipped up some marshmallow creme frosting I make from time to time and drizzled it on. I also ramped up the amount of cinnamon and added some allspice. When it comes to fall spices, you just can’t overdo it in my opinion.
The resulting scones would do any sweet potato lover proud. The marshmallows disappeared into the scone, but I think they definitely added some sweetness.
Sweet Potato and Marshmallow Scones with Marshmallow Creme Drizzle
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup cooked sweet potato
- 3 tablespoons half-and-half
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup mini-marshmallows, cut in half
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 1/2 jar (3 1/2 ounces) marshmallow creme
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and spices. Add butter and using fingers, break butter up into flour until it resembles coarse cornmeal.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sweet potato, half-and-half, and egg.
- Add wet ingredients to dry. fold together using a spatula. Add marshmallows once most of flour is incorporated and continue to mix until you can form a dough ball.
- Place dough ball on a surface coated with flour. Coat your hands with flour and flatten dough into a circle about 1-inch thick.
- Use a knife to cut into 6 pie shaped pieces. Place on prepared baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes, until lightly browned around edges. Let cool before drizzling with Marshmallow Creme.
- To make Marshmallow Creme, combine all ingredients in an electric mixer with a paddle attachment. Beat at medium speed until smooth. To apply to scones, place in a pastry bag or a ziplock bag with the corner snipped off. Drizzle back and forth across scones.
Yield: 6 scones
More Sweet Potato Recipes