Thai food, with its sweet, salty, spicy, and sour flavors is a delight for the tastebuds. When attempting to eat healthy and low-calorie, focusing on adding lots of flavor to foods is the way to go. This fried rice is loaded with shrimp, broccoli, and mangos and is just as visually appealing as it is tasty. The broccoli and cashews add a nice crunch and I absolutely love the way mangos taste when added to spicy, savory dishes.
This dish is absolutely loaded with protein, 32 grams, and is high in Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Vitamin B-12, and Iron.
Thai Mango Shrimp Fried Rice
- 1 1/4 cups brown rice
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 cups chopped broccoli florets
- juice of half a lime
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 mango, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped cashews
- Cook rice according to package directions. Remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes. Uncover and set aside.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet. Saute onion for 2 minutes. Add shrimp and cook 2-3 minutes depending on size. Shrimp should be just cooked through. Place shrimp/onion mixture in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Cook broccoli in a steamer basket until tender-crisp, about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together lime juice, soy sauce, Sriracha sauce, fish sauce, and honey. Mix in 1 tablespoon of water. Set aside.
- Heat remaining 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in large nonstick skillet. Add egg, and cook, stirring and breaking into pieces, until cooked through. Add rice and broccoli and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Stir in lime juice mixture and cook and stir for 1 minute. Mix in shrimp and mango and remove from heat.
- Serve garnished with cilantro and cashews.
Yield: 4 servings
399 Calories per serving, 32 grams protein
Recipe Source: adapted from Clean Eating Jan/Feb 2013
More Healthy Shrimp Recipes