I first discovered this recipe months ago when I was experimenting with eating gluten-free. I didn’t get around to trying it until last week when I was trying to come up with creative things to cook during my 10-Day Advocare Cleanse. I’ve seen spaghetti squash used as a substitute for pasta, but not zucchini.
When you julienne the zucchini using a mandoline, it ends up looking very similar to spaghetti. Because it is cut so thin, it just takes a few minutes to saute in a pan. Add a little garlic in and it’s really quite delicious.
I also really love this recipe for veggie sauce. The veggies (zucchini, squash, spinach, and sweet potato) all get blended together in a food processor before being added to the sauce. They give a wonderful depth of flavor to the sauce, but you don’t even really realize they are there.
I love the addition of sweet potatoes to the sauce and this is something I’m going to experiment with some. I always like my pasta sauce to have a little sweetness to balance the acidity of the tomatoes and I usually find myself adding a little sugar to accomplish this. But maybe a little sweet potato added in could do the same.
I used some fresh basil from my back yard for this recipe. I clipped the top off of one of the stalks and as I was carrying it inside I thought- Wow, this basil sure is heavy. Upon examining it I discovered a frog stuck to the back of one of the leaves. He was exactly the same color as the basil and virtually indistinguishable from it. Thank goodness I didn’t take a knife to him!
Zucchini Pasta with Veggie Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large zucchini, cut into julienne strips
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- red pepper flakes to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- Homemade Veggie Sauce
- Brown turkey in a nonstick skillet and add to veggie sauce.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Saute zucchini until zucchini begins to soften. Add garlic and saute one more minute. Stir in basil and red pepper flakes
Homemade Veggie Sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 39-ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1 zucchini
- 1 yellow squash
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 baked sweet potato
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- Steam zucchini and squash until tender.
- In a food processor combine zucchini, yellow squash, spinach, sweet potatoes, and herbs. Pulse to combine well.
- In a large pot, saute onion in olive oil until soft. Add garlic and saute 30 seconds. Add crushed tomatoes and diced tomatoes. Stir in veggie mixture and chicken broth. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring sauce to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
Recipe slightly adapted from mulitplydelicious.com
More Low Carb “Pasta” Dishes