When it comes to snacks, I’m very conditioned to grab some junk food. Since I started my 10-Day Advocare Cleanse (which I finished yesterday!) the part I’ve struggled with the most is coming up with ideas for snacks. Healthy breakfasts, lunches, and dinners I can do no problem.
But I find it hard to come up with healthy snack ideas. A handful of almonds? BORING!!! I couldn’t have dairy on the cleanse- so that cut out most of the healthy snacks I find to be enticing.
Luckily I pinned a Baked Zucchini Chip recipe a few months ago from Vittles and Bits. Now that’s my kind of healthy snack! I decided to try some yellow squash too while I was at it.
They were so delicious, I couldn’t stop eating them. Fortunately they have very few calories.
I must warn you, there are 2 downsides, no make that 3 downsides to this exceptionally yummy healthy snack.
- You pretty much need a mandoline. You could maybe hand slice them, but they need to be very, very thin and it’s important that they all be the exact same thickness so they are done cooking at the same time.
- They shrink ALOT. I had to bake 6 sheets full to get a decent yield. I used regular-sized zucchini but I would recommend using those thick, mammoth zucchini if you can. You know the ones that under normal circumstances you’d shy away from. Go ahead and get them for this. My normal sized zucchini (and squash) produced chips that were the size of a quarter or smaller.
- They take a really LONG time to cook and you really must cook them until they feel completely dried out. Otherwise they are chewy.
And oh- maybe there is a 4th downside because they don’t keep well. They lose their crispness within a few hours. But that’s OK because they are so yummy – you’ll eat them all right away.
One more note- season very sparingly with salt. As they shrink the flavor will become very concentrated.
Zucchini and Yellow Squash Chips
- 2 zucchini
- 2 yellow squash
- Canola Cooking Spray
- parchment paper
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees and line several baking sheets with parchment paper or nonstick aluminum foil. Spray with cooking spray.
- Using a mandoline slice zucchini and squash into slices about 1/8 of an inch thick.
- Spread out on prepared sheets, spray lightly with cooking spray and sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Place in oven and bake for 45 minutes. Rotate pans and cook an additional 40-50 minutes, until brown and crisp.
Yield: 1 zucchini or squash will produce about 1/4 cup of chips
More Zucchini and Squash Recipes