I’m embarrassed to disclose this…… but I love Chef BoyArDee pizza. There I said it. I love to cook homemade and make foods from scratch, but pizza out of a box is one of my favorite things. Apparently there are other people who have shame about their fondness for Chef BoyArDee. There’s even a Facebook Fan Page called ‘I Secretly Love Chef Boyardee Pizza Kit Pizza’.
When I think back to childhood meals, it’s the Chef BoyArDee pizzas my mom made that come to mind. She would put lots of browned ground beef on it. Mmmmmm. Pure comfort food.
It’s the Parmesan cheese mixture in the pouch that makes it taste so good. I sprinkle it on right on top of the sauce (under the mozzarella) and it and the sauce have some sort of magical reaction in the oven.
But my favorite thing about the pizza in the red box is that the dough is so easily molded into different shapes. A pumpkin for Halloween, candy cane or Christmas tree for Christmas, and a heart for Valentine’s Day.
So if you haven’t tried a box pizza before, get off your pizza high-horse and give one a try. Everyone should have childhood memories of Chef BoyArDee Pizza.
Valentine’s Day Pizza
- 1 Chef BoyArDee Cheese pizza kit
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- pepperoni slices
- red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- sliced red onion rings
- Using kitchen scissors, cut pepperoni slices into heart shapes.
- Make pizza dough according to instructions on box. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet and spread and shape into a heart shape. (It may be easier to divide dough in half and make two smaller pizzas.)
- Spread pizza kit sauce on the dough and sprinkle with the grated cheese. Top with mozzarella cheese and decorate with pepperoni slices, red pepper strips and red onion circles.
- Cook according to box directions.