Sandwiches with a warm, savory filling and gooey melted cheese are a hit with any crowd. Grilled Chicken and Roasted Pepper Sandwiches with Fontina Cheese will please even the most discriminating of palates.
A quick marinade in lemon juice, Dijon mustard, garlic, rosemary, and thyme produces a super flavorful chicken. Top with a mixture of roasted peppers and sautéed onions, further flavored with a little sugar to bring out the sweetness, some fennel seeds (love them), crushed red pepper, and a tablespoon of red wine vinegar to add some zing.
Finish off with a smidgen of mayo and some buttery, melted fontina and you have one heck of a sandwich.
More Yummy Sandwiches
Sun-dried Tomato and Olive Tapenade Sandwiches- a sophisticated sandwich with tomatoes, olives, capers and 3 kinds of cheese. Heaven!
Chicken and Bacon Panini with Chipotle Mayo- Who doesn’t like the combination of bacon, avocados, and chipotle peppers?
Meatloaf Sandwiches- Comfort food in sandwich form
Grilled Chicken and Roasted Pepper Sandwiches with Fontina Cheese
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, butterflied so chicken is an even thickness
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 5 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (7-ounce) bottle roasted red peppers, drained and sliced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 loaf focaccia, cut in half horizontally
- 4 teaspoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 8 slices thinly sliced fontina cheese
- Combine lemon juice, mustard, oil, rosemary, thyme, and 1 garlic clove in a large zip top bag and add chicken. Marinate in refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion, sugar, crushed red pepper, and salt and saute 1 minute. Add roasted red peppers and saute 3-4 minutes. Stir in remaining garlic and saute 1 additional minute. Remove from heat and stir in vinegar and black pepper.
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Remove chicken from marinade and discard marinade. Coat grill pan with cooking spray and cook 5 minutes per side, or until cooked through. Cool slightly and cut chicken into slices.
- Cut foccacia into wedges and spread cut sides evenly with mayonnaise. Arrange 1/2 of cheese slices on bottom bread slices and place chicken and pepper mixture on top. Top with rest of cheese and top half of bread.
- Place sandwiches on grill pan and grill 2-3 minutes per side.
Recipe Source- adapted slightly from Cooking Light