Want to enjoy a bowl of steel-cut oats for breakfast, but don’t have time to cook it in the morning? Combining the oats with water and soaking them in the refrigerator overnight reduces the cooking time. All it takes the next morning is 6-8 minutes in the microwave.
I love the addition of pearl barley in this multi-grain cereal. Like steel-cut oats, pearl barley is wonderfully chewy in texture and loaded with nutrients. It is high in protein, fiber, antioxidants, and Vitamin E.
Maple-Almond Multigrain Cereal clocks in at just under 400 calories, so it’s not a super low-calorie breakfast. But it is a large serving full of nutritional value, that will keep your energy up all morning and into the afternoon.
Overnight Maple-Almond Cereal
- 2/3 cup steel-cut oats
- 1/4 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- Combine oats, barley, and water in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight. (Oats will expand as they soak up water so be sure the bowl is big enough.)
- Uncover bowl and stir in salt. Microwave uncovered on HIGH for 3 minutes. Stir well and microwave 3 more minutes. Stir again and cook for 2 minutes. Most of the liquid should be absorbed at this time.
- Stir in vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, and almond milk. Divide mixture into 2 bowls, drizzle with maple syrup, and sprinkle with almonds and blueberries.
Yield: 2 servings, 391 calories each, 12.3g protein and 11.1 g dietary fiber per serving
More Oatmeal Recipes